Vehicle Tracking System Through GPS-GSM Modules
So you have got a GSM module lying around like me? Also a GPS-tracker?
We think the same!
In this instructables, I will try to guide you how to accomplish your goal from a newbie’s perspective.
As I had no previous electrical engineering knowledge (to be honest, the project doesn’t need that much,but nah), and had no clue how to make a device which pumps data real-time to a webserver, I encountered numerous problems. Still, I eventually managed to get things to work.
So, in this tutorial, I want to emphasise the mistakes a starter can make, and build-up the project accordingly.
Remember: Always be careful while you work with electricity!
NOTE: I am not professional. The code may be not sophisticated enough for all of your need. The project is intented to be a “hobby project”, but! it worked for me. And if it worked for me, it would work for you too!
Step 1: Prerequisites
GSM MODULE – SIM800L
- Pretty tiny, easy-to-use
- Capable of using mobile internet (GPRS)
GPS MODULE – Ublox NEO6M
- Also small
- Handles its job very well
A microcontroller – can be anything – you could use the famous Arduino Uno or the Nano to free up some space
Battery – I used a 18650 cell as the main, and only power source (Nominal 3.7V)
Battery holder – why? – because soldering an 18650 battery is pretty dangereous because of the heat.
DC-DC Boost Converter Step Up Module 5V – Must have, since the Arduino I used needs 5V
Tools, basic stuff which can come in handy:
Wires, soldering iron, breadboard for testing
Step 2: Main Concept
The main concept of the system is the following:
It consists of 3 parts:
- A device – which have the proper GPS-Coordinates and can connect to a server remotely and send data to it
- A webserver – which can receive incoming data – store it – and serve other clients
- The platform – where we can view the coordinates – Ideally it should be now a mobile application, or a website
Current Project / Post can also be found using:
- car control system using pic microcontroller projects
- microcontroller used in slot car
- pic 16f car
- carw micro contrller