The MP2667 from Monolithic Power Systems is a highly integrated, single-cell, Li-ion/Li-polymer battery charger with system power path management for space-limited portable applications. This device takes input power from either an AC adapter or a USB port to supply the system load and charge the battery simultaneously. The charger function features constant current pre-charge, constant current (CC) fast charge, and constant voltage (CV) regulation, charge termination, and auto-recharge. The power path management function ensures continuous power to the system by automatically selecting the input, battery, or both to power the system. This power stage features a low-dropout regulator from the input to the system and a 100 mΩ switch from the battery to the system. Power path management separates the charging current from the system load, which allows for proper charge termination and keeps the battery in full-charge mode.
The MP2667 provides a system short-circuit protection (SCP) function by limiting the current from the input to the system and the battery to the system. This feature is especially critical for preventing the Li-ion battery from being damaged due to excessively high currents. An on-chip battery undervoltage lockout (UVLO) cuts off the path between the battery and the system if the battery voltage drops below the programmable battery UVLO threshold preventing the Li-ion battery from being over-discharged. An integrated I2C control interface allows the MP2667 to program the charging parameters, such as the input current limit, input minimum voltage regulation, charging current, battery regulation voltage, safety timer, and battery UVLO, and is available in a QFN-10 (2 mm x 2 mm) package.
- I2C interface for programming charging parameters and status reporting
- Fully integrated power switches and no external blocking diode required
- Built-in robust charging protection including battery temperature monitoring and programmable timer
- Built-in battery disconnection function for shipping mode
- Thermal limiting regulation on the chip
- Compatible with 5 V USB power sources fully autonomous charger for single-cell Li-Ion/Li-Polymer batteries
- Complete power path management for simultaneously powering the system and charging the battery
- Programmable input current limit and minimum input voltage regulation thresholds
- ±0.5% charging voltage accuracy
- 13 V maximum voltage for the input source
- Available in a QFN-10 (2 mm x 2 mm) package