Variscite, the popular SOM manufacturer recently announced the launch of their new, NXP’s i.MX 8M Mini processor-powered SOM called; the VAR-SOM-MX8M-MINI System on Module. The new SOM which was designed to suit a wide range of applications, from consumer electronics to industrial automation, offers a low-power and cost-optimized SOM solution with ultimate scalability options that make it suitable for the technical and cost requirements of diverse applications.
The new SOM was designed as an upgrade to the DART-MX8M-MINI which was released last year and even though it is based on the same processor, the VAR-SOM Mini comes with some level of difference including a VAR-SOM Pin2Pin Product family compatible form factor to serve customers with flexible size/shape requirements for their final Product.
Thanks to the to 1.8GHz Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 plus a 400MHz Cortex-M4 real-time processor, the VAR-SOM-MX8M-MINI provides developers with a variety of communication interfaces including; a certified single band 802.11 b/g/n or dual-band 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n, 4.2 Bluetooth/BLE, Gigabit Ethernet, dual USB2.0, CAN bus and LVDS. In addition, the SoM supports a temperature range of -40 to 85°C (which makes it suitable for use in certain industrial settings) and integrates hardware engines to support high level 1080p video encoding and decoding, HQ audio, 2D and 3D graphics, and an integrated resistive touch panel.
A highlight of some of the features of the SOM is provided below:
- NXP i.MX 8M Mini, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core Cortex-A53
- Real-time 400MHz Cortex-M4 co-processor
- 24-bit LVDS/DSI display
- 2D/3D graphics acceleration
- Up to 4GB DDR4, 64GB eMMC, 512 MB NAND
- 1080p60 H.265/H.264/VP9 Decode, 1080p60 H.264/VP8 Encode
- HQ audio in/out
- Gigabit Ethernet, 2x USB 2.0, PCI-E
- Camera in: 1x MIPI-CSI2
- Certified single band 802.11 b/g/n or dual-band 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n
- Digital/Analog Input, CAN Bus, UART, SPI, I2C, SD/MMC, integrated resistive/capacitive touch
- Temperature range -40 to 85° C
- OS: Linux, Android