A number of smartphone manufacturers have, for a while, been experimenting with E-paper displays with phones like the Hisense A2 and Yota’s Yotaphone 1 and 2 implementing an e-paper based display as a secondary screen. While the use of e-paper displays brought advantages like extended battery life, and reduced pressure on the eyes in bright lights, for phones like the Hisense A2, the addition of a second screen leads to an unavoidable increase in the price of the phones, which made them a bit not attractive to a certain category of the market. To mitigate this and go as bold as guys like Onyx (with the InkPhone), Hisense, announced the launch of a single E-ink Display based smartphone called; Hisense A5.
The A5 is a relatively affordable Smartphone with a single e-paper that allows the phone to attain a really long battery life. The A5 which runs the Android 9 Pie OS comes with a single black and white 5.84-inch E-Ink Carta display with a resolution of 1440 x 720 and adjustable screen brightness via the built-in front-lit system.
Under the hood, the A5 runs a Qualcomm 660 Octa-core processor, with 4GB RAM and 64GB of internal storage, rounded up with a 13MP rear-facing camera, and a 5MP front-facing camera. All of this is packed into a Black or White colored case (option) and weighs about 158g, majorly due to the non-removable 4000mAh battery, which Hisense says could last up to 10 days on a single charge.
Some of the highlight features of the phone include:
- Cellular connectivity
– GSM – B2 / B3 / B5 / B8
– TDD-LTE – B38 / B39 / B40 / B41 / B34
– FDD-LTE – B1 / B3 / B5 / B7 / B8
– TD-SCDMA – 34 / B39
– CDMA – BC0
- 32GB or 64GB eMMC FLASH and MicroSD card slot for storage(up to 256GB)
- 4GB RAM system memory
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 439 octa-core Cortex-A53 processor @ 1.95 GHz and Adreno 505 GPU
- Adjustable front light and a 5.84” multi-touch e-Paper display with 1440 x 720 resolution display
- 5.0MP front-facing camera and 13.0MP rear camera with flash
- 3.5mm audio jack, built – in speaker and microphone
- 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi 4, GPS and Bluetooth 4.2
- 1 x micro USB OTG port
- Non-removable 4000 mAh battery which lasts up to 10days on a single charge
- built-in Gravity, Ambient light, and Proximity sensors
- Dimensions: 15.41 x 7.46 x 0.80 cm