F*watch – a fully open electronic watch
F*watch is a fully open electronic watch project featuring an integrated GPS receiver.
The development started at CERN as an after-work project to make a special present for a retiring colleague who likes hiking and timing.
The full design (electronics, mechanics and software) is available under free licenses and the design is exclusively made with free tools.
To be informed of the latest developments, and participate in the discussions, please subscribe to the mailing list.
- Pressure sensor
- Ambient light sensor
- 128×128 pixels LCD with backlight
- Micro-USB connector, 4 Buttons
- Buzzer, vibrating motor
- MicroSD memory slot
- 500 mAh Lithium-ion battery, fuel gauge
- 4-layer PCB
- Developed with open KiCad design tool for schematics and PCB
- Block diagram
- 3D-printed watch case and buttons
- Developed with open FreeCAD design tool
- FreeRTOS operating system
- Bootloader, drivers, applications
- Interface to USB host (e.g. download track data, upload firmware)
- Developed with open gcc compiler
For more detail: F*watch – a fully open electronic watch