This chip is considered the cheapest platform that connects to the internet via GSM/GPRS and at the same time works as a traditional GSM module.
This module is coming in market as a SMT package, like ESP12E, but there are many vendors already making breakout board with antenna out and SIM card slot, for an extra dollar.
- Dimensions 22.8 × 16.8 × 2.5mm;
- Working temperature -30 Celsius to + 80 Celsius;
- Working voltage 3.3V-4.2V;
- Power voltage> 3.4V;
- Standby average current 3ma less;
- Support GSM / GPRS four bands, including 850,900,1800,1900MHZ;
- Support China Mobile and China Unicom’s 2G GSM network worldwide;
- GPRS Class 10;
- Sensitivity <-105;
- SMT 42PIN
- Support voice calls;
- Support SMS text messaging; can use SMS to config module
- Support GPRS data traffic, the maximum data rate, download 85.6Kbps, upload 42.8Kbps;
- Supports standard GSM07.07,07.05 AT commands and extended commands;
- Supports two serial ports, one serial port to download an AT command port;
- AT command supports the standard AT and TCP / IP command interface;
- Support digital audio and analog audio support HR, FR, EFR, AMR speech coding;
- Support ROHS, FCC, CE, CTA certification;
- Support up to 8 channels network connections
- Low power consumption: standby least is 3mA
- A6 semi-hole technology, enabling rapid production modules through standard SMT equipment, providing customers with highly reliable connection, especially for automation, large-scale, low-cost modernization of production methods.
It can be used with AT Commands like the commands for other GPRS/GSM modules SIM800/SIM900. Thus, it is possible to use the same libraries
How To Use A6 GSM GPRS Module:
- Connect UART_TXD to RX of the FTDI
- Connect UART_RXD to TX of the FTDI
- Connect GND to the GND of the FTDI
- Connect VCC5.0 To the PWR_KEY pin
- Connect a Micro Usb for the power(with any smartphone charger)
- After 4-5 second you can remove the connection between VCC5.0 and PWR_Key
You can use it with the Arduino software, just choose a port and open the serial monitor with 115200 baud. To set up the connection send ”AT”, and if you see “OK” then everything works.
The module is said to be the smallest available industrial grade quad-band GSM / GPRS module. You can order A6 module for $3.20 from ElectroDragon store.