We saw several STM32MP1 SoC-based modules, SBCs, and Eval Boards Interface entering the market in 2020. These include Ka-Ro Electronics’ QSMP module, Shiratech’s Stinger96 SBC, Exor Embedded NanoSOM nS02 module, and Octavo’s OSD32MP15x SiP module harnessing the functionalities of STM32MP1.
Recently, Olimex unveiled the release of STMicroelectronics’ STM32MP1 SoC-based products, the STMP15X-SOM SoM, and the STMP1(A13)-EVB eval board. The STM32MP15X SoC features dual-core Arm Cortex-A7/M4 combined with an LCD interface, dedicated to 3D Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). Additionally, the eval board is compatible with the new STM32MP1 module and the previous A13-based SOM.
Olimex STMP15X-SOM System On Modules
The STMP15X-SOM is a system-on-module (SoM) available in industrial and extended temperature ranges. It is pin to pin compatible with the A13-SOM System On Module. The STMP15X-SOM comes in three versions with variations in the SoC models. These include STMP151-SOM, STMP153-SOM, and STMP157-SOM. The modules come with a MicroSD card slot for memory storage and 256 or 512MB DDR3L of system memory.
Discussing further, the board design comes with an onboard Power Management Unit (PMU) based on AXP209 IC. It enables the power voltage to the SoC core, peripherals, DDR3L memory, and other components to be programmable through I2C. Generally, the PMU is included in battery-operated devices such as mobile phones and portable media players to reduce the amount of space required.
Moreover, when a regular power source fails or voltage drops to an unacceptable level, the onboard LiPo battery functions as an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). Thus, it provides backup power to the SoC, memory, and PMU. The STMP15X-SOM also features the ES8388, a low-power stereo audio codec, designed for portable audio devices and many more.
Specifications Of Olimex STMP15X-SOM
- STM32MP151/153/157 is a dual-core Arm Cortex-A7 running up to 650 to 800 MHz with 209 MHz Cortex-M4.
- ES8388 Stereo Audio codec to generate audio output
- The module includes a Power Management Unit (PMU) based on the AXP209 IC and a LiPo battery charger.
- It features 5V DC power, a RESET button, power and charge LEDs, boot select, and serial debug support.
- The system on modules are available in Temperature Ranges of– Commercial grade: 0 to +70°C; Extended Temp grade: -20 to +85°C; Industrial grade: -40 to +85°C
- The dimensions of the board are 60.96 x 30.48mm.