Aurora 9 bar – The Essence of Aurora using PIC24F08KA101
Aurora 9 bar – The Essence of Aurora
Since the introduction of Aurora 9×18, I received many requests for the kits and PCBs. I’m still quite undecided about making those available for a few reasons. However I really want other LED lovers (ok that might sound too much 🙂 to be able to build one themselves.
So I came up with Aurora 9 bar. It’s a bare essential version of Aurora 9×18. In fact the circuit is almost exactly the same (with a lot less number of LEDs of course). Even the firmware is essentially the same. So it has the same super smooth color fades as Aurora 9×18.
Concept & Circuit
You can download BOM files that can be uploaded to Digi-Key for quick ordering.
- 16x 120 Ohm (0603)
- 21x 1k Ohm (0603)
- 1x 10k Ohm (0603)
- 2x 1uF (0603)
- 1x 10uF (1206)
- 1x AP7333-33 or AP7313-33 (3.3V linear voltage regulator)
- 3x MMBT2907A or equivalent PNP transistor
- 12x MMBT2222A or equivalent NPN transistor
- 1x PIC24F08KA101 (SSOP)
- 9x 5mm Tricolor LED (common-cathode) (SparkFun COM-09264 should be identical)
- 1x 5-way Tactile Switch: COM-10063 (Available at SparkFun Electronics)
- 1x 5V regulated power supply, 4 NiMH batteries & case, or USB cable
- 1x 2 pin Molex header (right-angle recommended) (optional)
- 1x 2 pin Molex connector with corresponding terminals (optional)
There are many places to purchase LEDs. I source LEDs directly from China via AliExpress. Takes a few days for delivery, but the prices are great. (If you are purchasing a lot of LEDs.)
You can substitute transistors if you have something compatible.
The kits are available at a reasonable price as well. Please view the details at “Kits” section of the forums.
Tools & Supply
- Soldering iron
- Solder (flux core. go for the highest quality solder you can afford.)
- Soldering flux (Use high quality flux. Low quality flux causes problems! ChipQuick brand recommended.)
- Wire cutter (I recommend this one.)
- Microchip PIC programmer (supports PIC24F08KA and capable of In-circuit programming through a standard 6-pin ICSP connector, such as PICKit, ICD 2, ICD 3)
- Computer running Windows
- Magnifier visor or other visual aid device (optional, but highly recommended)
- Molex crimper (to make your own power supply connector cables)
For more detail: Aurora 9 bar – The Essence of Aurora using PIC24F08KA101
EasyEDA: Ideas for Circuit Design, Innovation for Electronics Access
Free Circuit Design: Schematic – Simulation – PCB Layout – Gerber Viewer
Cheapest PCB Prototype: Only $2 for 10pcs 10×10cm PCBs, 24 hours Quick Turn, DHL Delivery in 3 Days