Introducing… the Energy Wristband
A wristband that tells you energy changes in your home. It connects via a Raspberry Pi computer to a base station like a‘current cost’ or similar. When a change in energy usage occurs, the wristband vibrates and a small LED bargraph shows your current usage from 1 to 4.
Realtime energy use can be queried by pressing the button.
Because home energy use is repetitive, wearing the wristband for a few weeks would be all that’s needed to understand how the various household appliances use energy.
As only a short time is needed before the wristband does its work, a set is lent to a primary school. Every 2 weeks the wristbands are passed on to the next children. If an extra set of base stations are lent previously, then the project could record changes in habits due to the wristband.
Getting children involved is finally a good use for pester power!
I’m looking for:
- A group of people interested in supporting and helping to test the idea.
- Sponsorship in terms of kit (like radios, batteries, energy measurement base stations),
- Money/Hours for electronics/software development time,
- Money/Hours for 3D design/casting,
- Help with promotion/marketing/funding,
- Help organising workshops with schools.
For more detail: Energy Wristband