StickOS and CPUStick – Build a Simple Toaster Oven Temperature Profile Controller 2/2
Using a highly-integrated microcontroller running “StickOS BASIC”, it is possible to quickly build a toaster oven temperature profile controller for performing surface mount (SMT) printed circuit board reflow soldering at home. Continuing with the first article, the schematic and configuration for the Toaster Oven Temperature Profile are presented.
1. Schematic and configuration
The schematic for the Toaster Oven Temperature Profile Controller is shown in Figure 1.
Once the Toaster Oven Temperature Profile Controller is built, the next step is to install StickOS BASIC on the UBW32 Board. This is achieved as follows:
1. Hold down the PRG switch on the UBW32 and connect the UBW32 to the host computer USB port; you should see alternating blinking white and green LEDs indicating the UBW32 is ready to download a firmware file.
2. Run the HIDBootLoader.exe application from the zip archive on the UBW32 homepage: http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/.
3. Click “Open Hex File” and browse to StickOS.UBW32.v1.50g.elf.hex.
4. Click “Program/Verify”
5. Press the reset switch on the UBW32 to start StickOS running:you should see a slowly blinking orange LED indicating StickOS is idle (this LED will blink quickly when StickOS is running a BASIC program). The next step is to install the USB Virtual COM Port driver on the USB host computer, if it is not there already. When the MCU is connected to a USB host computer, it will present an FTDI Serial Port function to the host computer. An appropriate signed driver will be loaded automatically from microsoft.com, if needed (and if you are connected to the Internet), or you can manually install the VCP driver from http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm. Once the driver is loaded, a new virtual COM port (VCP) will be present on your system. The virtual COM port will be visible in
EasyEDA: Ideas for Circuit Design, Innovation for Electronics Access
Free Circuit Design: Schematic – Simulation – PCB Layout – Gerber Viewer
JLCPCB Prototype: Only $2 for 10pcs 10×10cm, 24 hours Quick Turn, DHL Delivery in 3 days