Interfacing HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor with PIC Microcontroller
HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Distance Sensor is a popular and low cost solution for non-contact distance measurement function. It is able to measure distances from 2cm to 400cm with an accuracy of about 3mm. This module includes ultrasonic transmitter, ultrasonic receiver and its control circuit.
HC-SR04 module has 4 pins :
- VCC – 5V, +ive of the power supply
- TRIG – Trigger Pin
- ECHO – Echo Pin
- GND – -ive of the power supply
TRIG and ECHO pins can be used to interface this module with a microcontroller unit. These are TTL (0 – 5V) input output pins.
HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Module Working
- Provide TRIGGER signal, atleast 10μS High Level (5V) pulse.
- The module will automatically transmit eight 40KHz ultrasonic burst.
- If there is an obstacle in-front of the module, it will reflect the ultrasonic burst.
- If the signal is back, ECHO output of the sensor will be in HIGH state (5V) for a duration of time taken for sending and receiving ultrasonic burst. Pulse width ranges from about 150μS to 25mS and if no obstacle is detected, the echo pulse width will be about 38ms.
PIC 16F877A is the heart of this circuit. VDD and VSS of PIC Microcontroller is connected to +5V and GND respectively which will provide necessary power for its operation. A 8MHz crystal is connected to OSC1 and OSC2 pins of PIC, to provide clock for its operation. 22pF capacitors connected along with the crystal will stabilize the oscillations generated by the crystal. 16×2 LCD is connected to PORTD which is interfaced using 4 bit mode communication. 10KΩ preset is used to adjust the contrast of the LCD. A 100Ω resistor is used to limit current through the LCD back-light LED.
TRIGGER pin of HC-SR04 sensor is connected to RB0 (pin 33) of PIC which is to be configured as an Output PIN (TRIS bit is 0) and ECHO pin is connected to RB4 (pin 37) which is to be configured as an Input PIN (TRIS bit is 1).
For more detail: Interfacing HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor with PIC Microcontroller
JLCPCB – Prototype 10 PCBs for $2 + 2 days Lead Time
China’s Largest PCB Prototype Enterprise, 300,000+ Customers & 10,000+ Online Orders Per Day
Inside a huge PCB factory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCznQFV-Mw
Current Project / Post can also be found using:
- ultrasonic sensor pic microcontroller proteus simulations