Home Automation and Security System using Microcontroller ATMEGA8 with Arduino Programming
Home automation and security systems have become very popular these days, today industrial automation techniques are widely adopted by luxurious homes and apartments. Here I’m going to give a worthy home automation security and monitoring project for engineering students. On the whole this microcontroller based home automation system with security performs the following series of processes, making it the best home automation system.
- Sense the temperature level of the room and monitor it using LEDs.
- Controls the temperature using exhaust fan.
- Automatically open and close the door to make fast temperature control.
- Pump water if necessary, in case fire is detected.
- How to Make a Burglar Alarm Circuit for Your Home Security?
- Home security alarm system circuit diagram
- Arduino UNO
- IC 74138
- Exhaust fan (12V)
- Vehicle glass washer pump motor (12V)
- MQ6 GAS sensor
- Thermistor (High resistance type)
- Transistor (BC548x3)
- Buzzer 5V
- LEDs (Greenx3, Yellowx3, Redx2)
- POT (10Kx2)
- Resistor (1Kx3, 10k)
- Relay 12V
- DVD loader tray
- 12v Power supply
- USB cable
Setting up the project
Built around ATMEGA8 microcontroller, the main advantage of this system is that it uses Arduino programming which makes easy embedding of program and at the end of the day it leads to a drastic reduction of cost from about Rs.1500 to around Rs.80.
For demonstration purpose I have used a DVD loader assembly to open and close the door, it has an inbuilt open close sensor which I have used here. Moreover the MQ6 GAS sensor for detecting the leakage of LPG is an added advantage of this project. When leakage is detected it should run an alarm and switch on exhaust fan to reduce the density of GAS.
Working of home automation and security system
Now let me get in to the working of our home automation and security system section by section. The main sensors that I have used here is a thermistor to detect the temperature level and a MQ6 GAS sensor to detect the presence of LPG.
- Firstly read the temperature value from thermistor and monitor on LED with the help of 74328 IC which is a 3 to 8 decoder.
- Two threshold values are used, first one to enable open/close of the door and the other one for fire alarm.
- The temperature level from thermistor is checked. If the level is less than first threshold then it does nothing. Else if it’s greater than the first threshold it opens the door with the help of ‘ON OFF touch switch’ (Eject button) in DVD loader assembly, thereby switching on exhaust fan.
- If the temperature level is greater than second threshold level (it means there will be a presence of fire) then the controller will switch on water pump motor to extinguish the fire.
Current Project / Post can also be found using:
- how to make security system with arduino and relay
- arduino projects home automation
- arduino uno burglar alarm