Digital Barometer using PIC Microcontroller and MPX4115A Pressure Sensor – XC8
The Motorola MPX4115A is an atmospheric pressure sensor powered by 5V and delivers and output from ~0.25V to ~4.75V based on the pressure detected at room temperature (25°C). The device provides a linear output based on pressure. As the pressure rises, the output voltage of the sensor rises as well with ~0.25V represents <15 kPa pressure relative to a vacuum and ~4.75V represents >115 kPa.
Note that 1 atmosphere of pressure at sea level is equal to 101,325 Pa or 101 kPa. The graph below shows a typical output response of an MPX4115A pressure sensor, below 15KPa and above 115KPa the voltage doesn’t change.The MPX4115A is thus an ideal sensor for microcontroller based barometer or altimeter applications.
- 1.5% Maximum Error over 0° to 85°C
- Ideally suited for Microprocessor or Microcontroller– Based Systems
- Temperature Compensated from –40° to +125°C
- Durable Epoxy Unibody Element or Thermoplastic (PPS) Surface Mount Package
- Aviation Altimeters
- Industrial Controls
- Engine Control
- Weather Stations and Weather Reporting Devices
As shown on the circuit diagram above, it is very easy to interface the MPX4115A to a PIC, if you are using the 8-pin sensor, connect pin 2 to +5V, pin 3 to ground and the output is on pin 4 (connect to analog pin of PIC). leave the rest unconnected. If you are using the 6-pin sensor, pin 1 is the output (connect to analog pin of PIC), pin 2 to ground and pin 3 to +5V. Leave the rest unconnected.
Note: Pin 1 is noted by the notch in the lead
VDD and VSS of the pic microcontroller is not shown in the circuit diagram. VDD should be connected to +5V and VSS to GND. The MCLR is disabled in software and an internal oscillator clock is selected so no need for external crystal.
A 16 x 2 lines LCD display is connected to PORT B. refer to the Interfacing LCD Display with PIC microcontroller
We recommend EasyEDA for electronic circuit design.
From Schematic to PCB Production, Just Need One Tool
Free Circuit Design Software: learn to use Editor quickly and easily
Cheapest PCB: 10pcs 2-layers 10cm×10cm only $8.21, 3-day build time, 100% E-test
Current Project / Post can also be found using:
- schematic pic micro bar presure sensot
- interfacing of pressure sensor with pic microcontroller
- interfacing of pressure sensors with pic microcontroller dugram pdf
- interfacing pressure sensor mpx4115 with pic18 microcontroller using adc